Canberra

Like many states and countries with two rival candidates for its capitol city, Australia chose a city halfway between them and ended up with a capitol without a city, at least not an organic living breathing one.


I kind of picked that up going in so I wasn't put off by the occasional sterility, concrete or lack of people. All that being said, the Portrait Gallery and the National Gallery of Art are home to some real treasures of Australian and Pacific art. I love being able to see a country myself and then seeing it through the eyes of its artists.

Aussie museums have had some very interesting surprises.  The museum in Perth seemed to be a commentary on the blandness that has crept into the suburban landscape. But there was a fascinating series of art school paintings on the theme of Christ in the wilderness. At the time the school required all paintings to be on biblical subjects and the result was like nothing else I've ever seen in either sacred or non-sacred art.

The other exhibition that impressed me the most was of Tasmanian high school students called Art-Rage 09 in Hobart. It was outstanding. New, fresh, it had a lot to say and really showed an easy command of the various media. I would have been impressed in any case but the fact that they weren't just art students but high school students was even more impressive. Australia is just full of surprises.

Mostly Canberra was about catching up with my friend from the Appalachian Trail, Ann Penhallow and meeting her 14 month old son, Jasper.  Ann was a fabulous host, driving me all over town (an absolute requirement in Canberra) and taking care of everything possible. We had a great old time going through her AT album and going down memory lane. She took me to a concert at the Botanic Gardens and a Fernwood friend I'd had lunch with the day before was there. It was a complete accident and she was kind of hoping
to see if any of her friends were there. Anyway, good times in the Capitol, thanks mostly to She-Ra; Princess of Power.