Spirit of Tasmania Ferry


Tazzie is done. Managed to hike the Freycinet Peninsula (which was gorgeous) but couldn't really afford some of the other hiking choices, most notably the South Coast Walk which requires being flown in to the starting point.  All that being said, it was a unique and beautiful place and I'm better for the experience.
The Ferry ride to Melbourne had a few surprises, mostly how hot it got as we approached the Australian mainland.  I've never been that hot on open water in my life and I've been out in some pretty warm weather. Oceans are usually bigger than continents and win the temperature battle at the coast but not here.

The ferry itself was huge and it was fun just finding my way around the thing. However instead of entering Melbourne on a beautiful sunset we arrived in stifling heat and a lot of daylight left. Checked into a crowded
hostel and struggled to sleep.  I know.  Tough life.

I'm only just starting to find my way around Melbourne which has been tarnished recently by some very ugly
racial incidents against Indian students including one being set on fire (which the police insist was not a
racist incident). I suppose every country has to go through this for itself but it's still pretty painful to watch. Anyway, hoping things settle down both for my visit and for the sake of the city.